OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS
1. This section contains instructions for safely operating the M872A4 Series Flatbed Semitrailers under
unusual conditions. In addition to normal preventive maintenance and service, special care must be
taken to keep the semitrailers operational in extreme temperatures and humidity.
2. Chronic failure of materiel resulting from exposure to extreme conditions must be reported in
accordance with DA PAM 738-751.
OPERATION IN EXTREME COLD
In arctic and extreme cold conditions, the fluid in the hydraulic jack needs to
be changed to Arctic OEA (WP 0086 00-2, Item 8) before using it. Failure to
follow this caution may result in damage to equipment.
1. Special care must be taken when operating the semitrailers in cold weather. Refer to FM 21-305 for
special instructions for all semitrailers.
2. Refer to WP 0022 00 for proper lubrication during extreme cold weather.
3. When parking for any period of time in temperatures below 0F (-18C), park in a sheltered area out of
the wind and clean off any build-up of ice or snow. Place a footing of planks or brush under tires and
landing legs to prevent them from freezing to the ground. Ensure that the tires are properly inflated
(WP 0003 00-7). Underinflated tires will freeze, resulting in flat spots.
4. Be cautious when placing semitrailer in motion after a shutdown. Thickened lubricants may cause
failure of components. Free frozen brakeshoes, or tires frozen to ground, with care.
OPERATION IN EXTREME HEAT
1. Refer to WP 0022 00 for proper lubrication during extreme heat conditions.
2. Do not park the semitrailer in sunlight for long periods of time. Heat and sunlight shorten tire life.
3. Shelter or cover the semitrailer with tarpaulin, if available.
OPERATION IN SANDY OR DUSTY AREAS
1. Clean, inspect, and lubricate the semitrailer more often in sandy or dusty areas (WP 0022 00).
2. Maximum allowable speed when driving in sand is 10 mph (16 km/h).