4-53. Hub and Drum Assembly (M129A4 Only) (cont'd)
Dry cleaning solvent (P-D-680) is toxic and flammable. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Avoid
skin contact. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from open flame. Flash point of solvent
is 138o F (50o C).
2. Remove grease and oil with dry cleaning solvent (item 3, Appendix E). Dry thoroughly.
3. Inspect for damage, rust, corrosion or marred finish.
4. Inspect brake drum for out-of-roundness and scoring.
5. Inspect bearings (refer to TM 9-214).
6. Inspect cones for cracks, wear or other damage. Replace defective parts.
7. Make sure contact material on oil seals is intact and pliable.
c. Installation and adjustment of wheel bearings
Do steps 1 and 2 if bearing (17 and 19) and seal (18) were removed.
1. Pack inner bearing (19) with grease (item 5, Appendix E). Insert into hub (15) with large outside
diameter of bearing toward oil seal.
2. Install new oil seal (18) in hub (15), with lip of seal next to bearing.
3. Using guard press, install new gravel guard (20).
To avoid damage to oil seal, use caution when sliding hub (15) onto axle spindle.
4. Slide hub (15) with studs (16) on axle spindle.
5. Pack outer bearing (17) with grease (item 5, Appendix E). Insert into hub (15) with large diameter of
bearing facing out.
6. Install inner nut (14), using 3-7/8 inch wheel bearing locknut wrench.
7. While turning hub slowly, tighten inner nut (14), using 3-7/8 inch wheel bearing locknut wrench, to a
torque of approximately 200 lb-ft (271.2 Nm). Back off inner nut (10) 1/4 turn.