4-50. Slack Adjuster (XM1063 Only) (cont'd)
1. Inspect for damage and condition of splines. Replace defective or missing parts.
2. Inspect for rust, corrosion or marred finish. Repaint as required.
1. Clean splines of camshaft (6).
2. Place slack adjuster (4) in position and tap into place, using a brass hammer.
3. Install retaining ring (5).
4. Install yoke (2), yoke pin (3) and cotter pin (1).
1. Make certain brakes are still caged.
2. Jack up axle to be adjusted. Check that wheels rotate freely.
3. Check yoke adjustment. Dimension from outside of non-
pressure housing to center of yoke pin must be 7-1/2 inches,
plus or minus 1/8 inch.
4. Apply a 9/16 wrench to worm shaft hex head and push in
against slack adjuster to unlock the worm shaft.
5. Turn the hex head of the worm shaft clockwise on slack
adjuster until the wheel cannot be turned.
6. Back off the worm shaft until wheel spins freely.
7. Remove jack.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 7 for other slack adjusters as required.
Uncage brakes (para. 2-27).