AUTOMATIC SLACK ADJUSTERS REPLACEMENT - Continued
REMOVAL - Continued
4. Rotate slack adjuster manual adjustment hex (10) counterclockwise until slack adjuster (4) clears yoke
(universal joint vehicular) (2).
5. Remove washer (5) and o-ring (6) from recess on end of camshaft (11). Discard washer and o-ring.
6. Using soft-faced hammer, tap on slack adjuster (4) lightly until it can be removed from camshaft (11).
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
Do not use solvents or soap and water for cleaning.
1. Clean slack adjuster, splines of camshaft, and other metal parts using stiff fiber brush, and wipe
2. Inspect slack adjuster for bent, broken, loose, or misaligned brake actuator push rods and cracked
or damaged brake actuator brackets. Replace slack adjuster if damaged.
1. Install slack adjuster (4), new o-ring (6), and new washer (5) on end of camshaft (11).
2. Turn manual adjustment hex (10) clockwise until hole in yoke (universal joint vehicular) (2) and hole
in slack adjuster (4) are aligned.
3. Install straight pin (3) through yoke (universal joint vehicular) (2).
4. Install new cotter pin (1) through straight pin (3).
5. Install bolt (7) and nut (8) in mounting bracket (9). Do not tighten nut (8).
6. Lubricate slack adjusters (4) per WP 0022-00-3.
Step 7 is only required if brakes are caged.
7. Uncage brakes according to WP 0007 00-15.