For operation of equipment in extended cold temperatures below -15F (-26C), remove lubricants
prescribed in the key for temperatures above -15F (-26C). Re-lubricate with lubricants specified in the
key for temperatures below -15F (-26C). If OEA lubricant is required to meet the temperature changes
prescribed in the key, OEA lubricant is to be used in place of OE/HDO lubricant for all temperature ranges
where OE/HDO lubricant is specified in the key.
1. When the wheels and hubs are removed, place a light film of lubricant on cam roller follower
shafts, journals, and the top and bottom surface of the "S" cam. Wipe off any excess lubricant.
2. Automatic slack adjusters:
Do not use any grease with Teflon, over 3% molysulfide content,
or "white" grease in the automatic slack adjusters. These additives
will adversely affect the friction clutch and cause it to not hold
adjustment. Failure of the slack adjusters may cause serious
injury or death.
It is important not to overfill wheel-end cavity with lubricant.
Do not exceed grease level indicated below. Also, make sure
excess grease is wiped away since it can contaminate brake
linings and cause poor brake performance.
1. Pack bearing (rollers) cones with grease by forcing grease into the cavities between rollers and
cage from the large end of the cone. The use of a pressure packer is recommended; otherwise
pack the bearings (rollers) by hand.
2. Apply a light coat of grease to the spindle bearing (rollers) journals and wipe off excess.
3. Fill the hub cavity with grease to the outer cap's smallest diameter.
4. At the top of the spindle and as far back as possible, pump additional grease until it appears that
the grease will run out. Install the outer bearing (rollers) cone quickly.
5. Hub cavity will be filled 1/3 full of grease (from the 4 to the 8 o'clock positions). This will involve
installation of 1-1/2 lb (0.7 kg) of grease.
6. Install the wheel retention hardware. Place a dab of grease across the face of the locknut for
identification that hub cavity has been greased if caps are not to be immediately installed.