5-9. Trunnion Tube
This task covers:
General Mechanic's Tool Kit (item 1, Appendix B)
Wheels Removed (para. 3-4)
Automotive Shop Set (item 2, Appendix B)
Personnel Required: Two
Brush (item 15, Appendix E)
1. Position semitrailer on level surface with
front end resting on landing gear legs.
2. Extend leveling jacks enough to relieve
each tire of ground contact and provide
support during removal and installation
3. Place jacks under both axles and raise
van body just enough to take weight off
4. Block or support semitrailer. Remove
wheels (para. 3-4).
5. Remove eight nuts (4), washers (3) and
screws (1) securing trunnion hangers (2)
to mounting bracket.
6. Support trunnion tube (9). Remove eight
nuts (7) and washers (6) securing trunnion
7. Lift up U-bolts (5) and remove lower hub (8). Remove trunnion tube.
b. Cleaning and inspection
1. Remove dirt with water and brush (item 15, Appendix E).