5-6. Axle Assembly Maintenance (cont'd)
1. Remove dirt with water and brush (item 15, Appendix E).
Dry cleaning solvent (P-D-680) is toxic and flammable. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Avoid
skin contact. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from open flame. Flash point of solvent
is 138o F (50o C).
2. Remove grease from spindle of axle and wheel retaining parts with dry cleaning solvent (item 3,
c. Inspection and repair
1. Check threads of axle spindle for wear, crossed threads or other damage.
2. Using fine file, remove burrs, or hand chase threads if necessary.
3. Check axle spindle for bend. Indications of a bent axle spindle are binding bearings which cannot be
adjusted properly and extremely uneven wear of brake linings. Replace axle, if spindle is defective.
4. Check for damaged paint and repaint where necessary.