4-55. Brake Shoes
This task covers:
General mechanic's tool kit (item 01, Appendix B)
Wheels removed (para. 3-4).
Hub and drum assembly removed (para. 4-52
(XM1063) or para. 4-53 (M129A4)
Brakes caged (para. 2-27)
1. Hold each shoe (3) away from anchor pins (2) and remove anchor pins.
2. Remove retaining springs (1).
3. Swing back brake shoes (3) and remove shoes with return springs.
4. Remove return springs (4) from shoes. Remove cam roller spring (5)
and cam roller (6).
1. Inspect springs for rust, obvious defects and excessive wear.
Replace defective spring.
2. Inspect brake shoe lining for wear. If braking surface is within 3/16
inch of rivet heads or grease is present, replace brake shoe.
1. Install return spring (4), cam roller spring (5) and cam roller (6).
2. Position brake shoes (3) on axle spider and install retaining springs (1).
3. Hold each shoe (3) away from cam and insert anchor pins (2).
Install wheels (para. 3-4).
Uncage brakes (para. 2-27).