4-54. Brake Camshaft (cont'd)
3. Remove three nuts (11), washers (10) and screws (3).
4. Remove housing (6 and 9), preformed packing (7) and bushing (8).
b. Cleaning and inspection
1. Remove dirt and mud with water and brush (item 15, Appendix E).
Dry cleaning solvent (P-D-680) is toxic and flammable. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Avoid
skin contact. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from open flame. Flash point of solvent
is 138o F (50o C).
2. Remove grease and oil with dry cleaning solvent (item 3, Appendix E). Dry thoroughly.
3. Inspect all parts for damage, rust, corrosion or marred finish.
4. Inspect camshaft (16) for twists and bends.
5. Inspect lubrication fitting (5). Replace if defective.
1. Position two preformed packings (7), bushing (8) and housing (6 and 9).
2. If removed, install bushing (15) and bushing (2). Install two seals (13).