4-52. Hub and Drum Assembly (XM1063 Only) (cont'd)
b. Cleaning and inspection
1. Remove surface dirt with water and brush (item 15, Appendix E).
Dry cleaning solvent (PD-680) is toxic and flammable. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Avoid
skin contact. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from open flame. Flash point of solvent
is 138o F (50o C).
2. Remove grease and oil with dry cleaning solvent (item 3, Appendix E). Dry thoroughly.
3. Inspect for damage, rust, corrosion or marred finish.
4. Inspect brake drum for out-of-roundness and scoring.
5. Inspect bearings (refer to TM 9-214).
6. Make sure contact material on oil seals is intact and pliable.
c. Installation and adjustment of wheel bearings
Do step 1 if inner bearing cup (6) and outer bearing cup (3) were removed.
1. Install inner bearing cup (6) and outer bearing cup (3) into hub (4).
Do step 2 if serrated bolts (5) were replaced.
2. Install serrated bolts (5).
3. Pack inner bearing (8) with grease (item 5, Appendix E). Install hub (4) with large outside diameter of
bearing toward oil seal.
4. Install new oil seal (7) in hub, with lip of seal next to bearing.
To avoid damage to oil seal (7), use caution when sliding hub (4) onto axle spindle.
5. Slide hub (4) on axle spindle.
6. Pack outer bearing (9) with grease (item 5, Appendix E). Insert into hub (4) with large diameter of
bearing (9) facing out.
7. Install inner nut (10), using 3-7/8 inch wheel bearing locknut wrench.