4-51. Slack Adjuster (M129A4 Only) (cont'd)
1. Remove surface dirt with water and brush (item 3, Appendix E).
Dry cleaning solvent (P-D-680) is toxic and flammable. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Avoid
skin contact. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from open flame. Flash point of solvent
is 138o F (50o C).
2. Remove grease and oil with dry cleaning solvent (item 3, Appendix E). Dry thoroughly.
3. Lubricate in accordance with Appendix I, Lubrication Instructions.
1. Inspect for damage and condition of splines. Replace defective or missing parts.
2. Inspect for rust, corrosion or marred finish. Repaint as required (item 20, Appendix E).
1. Set locknut (1) 5-1/4 inches (13.34 cm) from air chamber.
Slack adjuster nut (2) and inner nut (9) are installed on new
slack adjuster. They must be removed prior to the installation
of the new slack adjuster.
2. Slide slack adjuster nut (2) and inner nut (9) onto air chamber
shaft (8) until they meet locknut (1).
3. Install slack adjuster (3) onto air chamber shaft (8).
4. Install flat washer (7) and snap ring (6).
Turn adjusting screw (4) clockwise to align clevis (10) and air
chamber shaft (8).
5. Using adjusting screw (4), align clevis (10) and air chamber
6. Turn slack adjuster nut (2) counterclockwise until hand tight.
7. Tighten locknut (1).