SUSPENSION MAINTENANCE - Continued
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
Dry cleaning solvent is toxic and flammable. Always wear protective goggles
and gloves, and use only in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and
clothes, and DO NOT breathe vapors. DO NOT use near open flame or excessive heat.
The solvent's flash point is 100F-138F (38C-59C). If you become dizzy while
using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help. If solvent contacts
eyes, immediately wash your eyes and get medical aid.
Dispose of all hazardous material in accordance with TB 43-0244.
1. Clean springs (3) and equalizing beam (6) with dry cleaning solvent.
2. Inspect leaves and clips for cracks and breaks. Inspect lower leaf of main spring at contact of spring
bearing seat for excessive wear.
3. Replace spring if damaged. Inspect equalizing beam (6) for structural cracks or damage. Inspect spring
hangers for cracks. Replace defective components.
4. Inspect thickness of equalizing beam walls. Equalizing beam wall measurement should read
4 3/8 in. (11.11 cm). If wear exceeds 1/4 in. (6.35 mm), replace equalizing beam.
1. Position equalizing beam (6) and springs (3) on semitrailer.
2. Install springs (3) on equalizing beam (6) with screw (7) and new locknut (8).
3. Install U-bolts (1), axle seat (2), spring seat (4), and new flange nuts (nut, plain, extended washer)
(5) around springs (3) and axle.