HUB MAINTENANCE - Continued
1. Rotate slack adjuster manual adjustment hex counterclockwise until pin becomes loose in slack
2. Remove six screws (12), lockwashers (11), hubcap (10), and gasket (9) from hub (3).
Discard lockwashers and gasket.
3. Remove keeper arm (8) and self-locking nut (7) from spindle. Discard keeper arm and self-locking nut.
4. Remove outer cone and rollers (bearings) (1). Using dual wheel dolly, remove hub assembly (3), cone and
rollers (bearings) (5) and seal (6). Discard seal.
5. Using appropriate tool, remove inner (4) and outer (2) tapered roller cups.
HUB COMPONENT SERVICE
Clean, inspect, and lubricate wheel end per WP 0022 00-4.
Seal must not be cocked or distorted when pressed into hub. Use of a
seal installation tool is the best method for installation of seal. Spindle
must be clean. Improper installation of seals can cause serious
damage to equipment.
1. Install new seal (6), cone and rollers (bearing) (5), tapered roller cup (4), hub (3), tapered roller cup (2), and
cone and rollers (bearing) (1) onto spindle.
When installing the self-locking nut, ensure that the notched portion of the
self-locking nut is facing out.
2. Install new nut (7) on axle spindle.
3. Tighten nut (7) to 200 lb.-ft. (271 Nm).
4. Back off nut until loose.