2-8. LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION OF MAJOR COMPONENTS (Cont.)
9. KINGPIN--Connects the semitrailer to the fifth wheel of the towing vehicle.
10. NOSE PLATE--Contains the electrical and air line connections. The nose plate also contains the
electrical parts required for proper operation of the service lights.
11. SIDE BOARDS--Used when carrying breakbulk cargo. The side racks mount to the frame.
12. CORNER AND SIDE STAKES--Used to secure side boards when installed. The stakes mount to
13. MUD FLAPS--Keep mud and water from being splashed off the rear tires during rainy weather.
Mud flaps also keep most of the rocks thrown up when traveling unimproved roads from being
thrown off to the rear.
14. REAR BUMPER--Prevents damage to the suspension when backing the semitrailer into the dock
and provides run-under protection to following vehicles.
15. TANDEM AXLE--Consists of the suspension system, brake system, axles, and the tires.
16. HUBODOMETER--Provides a record of miles transited by the semitrailer.
17. DRAIN CABLES--For draining air tanks. (2 Pull Cables)
18. FRAME--Constructed of steel. Provides the load bearing surface, mounting for the axles,
suspension, kingpin, and side board mounting.
There are a total of 40 cargo tiedowns on the upper and
lower decks. Thirty-six (36) are cargo tiedowns, the four
(4) larger tiedowns are ammunition tiedowns.